QUICK START GUIDE
This Quick Start Guide is designed to give you a simple checklist for the steps you need to perform in order to get your SPA25 Prisma set up and working as quickly as possible.
1 Unpack the SPA25 Prisma
Your SPA25 Prisma is supplied with the following components:
- Mains cable
- Antennas for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- PRISMA remote, including two AAA cells
- AC polarity pen, including two AAA cells
- Microphone for Dirac Live calibration
If any of these items are missing please contact your supplier. We recommend you retain the packaging in case you need to transport the unit at a later date.
2 Connect a display
To set up the SPA25 you need to use the on-screen menus, so you should connect a display to SPA25 even if you don’t plan to use its video features.
Connect the MAIN HDMI output from your SPA25 Prisma to your television or display HDMI input, using an HDMI lead:
3 Connect speakers
The SPA25 Prisma can support a variety of surround system configurations.
Initially we suggest connecting your main front left and right loudspeakers to the FRONT L and R speaker terminals. You can then extend this to the full configuration at a later time:
4 Connect audio sources
You can connect five analog sources, one coax digital source, and two optical digital sources, as well as one USB-B digital input source to the inputs on the back panel.
The SPA25 Prisma allows you to define up to 17 presets. When the SPA25 Prisma is first supplied the following eight standard presets are already set up for you, so to get started we suggest you connect one or more of these sources:
|1||HDMI 1||Video and digital audio on HDMI 1 input.|
|2||HDMI 2||Video and digital audio on HDMI 2 input.|
|3||A1||Analogue audio on A1 input (RCA connectors).|
|4||A2||Analogue audio on A2 input (RCA connectors).|
|5||D1 Coaxial||Digital audio on D1 input (RCA connector).|
|6||D2 Optical||Digital audio on D2 input (Optical connector).|
|7||PC/MAC||Digital audio on PC/MAC input (USB-B connector).|
|17||Prisma||Digital audio from network sources.|
By default only presets 1 and 2 include video.
- Connect analog sources to A1 and/or A2, using high quality RCA cables.
- Connect a digital coax source to D1, using a digital RCA cable.
- Connect a digital optical source to the digital optical input D2 using an optical cable.
You can also connect a PC or Mac to the USB-B input to use the SPA25 as an audio output device for your computer.
To use the SPA25 as a PC/Mac sound output device
- Connect the computer’s USB port to the USB-B input on the SPA25 using a USB A to USB B cable.
Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (32/64-bit) is required. You need to install the Primare xmos audio driver, available on primare.net.
OSX 10.4 or later is recommended. No driver is required.
The SPA25 will then appear as a sound output device called SPA25 in the Sound control panel (PC) or Sound system preferences panel (Macintosh).
- Set the Audio Output for the preset you want to use to SPA25 in the Preset Settings menu.
- Select SPA25 as the sound output device in the Mac Sound system preferences panel or the PC Sound control panel.
5 Connect video sources
You can connect up to four audio/video sources to the four HDMI inputs, by connecting HDMI cables from four audio/video sources to HDMI 1 to HDMI 4.
Initially we suggest using HDMI 1 and HDMI 2, which are available on default presets:
6 Connect the antennae
- Connect the two antennae supplied with the SPA25 to the ANT 1 and ANT 2 sockets on the back panel, and position the two antennae at a slight angle from the vertical:
The antennas are used for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity.
7 Connect power
- Plug one end of the mains cable supplied with the SPA25 into the power connector on the back panel and connect the other end to a wall socket.
If this cable is not suitable for your power outlets please contact your supplier for an alternative cable.
Use the AC polarity pen to ensure that the AC cable plug orientation is correct to get the best sound from your SPA25:
- Touch the tip of the Polarity Pen against the left side of the mains connector. If the polarity is correct the Polarity Pen should light up red:
- Touch the tip of the Polarity Pen against the right side of the mains connector. The Polarity Pen should not light up.
If the polarity is incorrect you can safely continue to use your SPA25, but for best sound it is recommended that you correct the problem:
- Try a different power outlet.
- Contact an electrician to check and if necessary correct the polarity of your power outlets.
- Switch on the SPA25, using the switch on the back panel.
- Press on the front panel or PRISMA remote.
The display should show:
P R I M A R E
NOTE: Always disconnect the SPA25 from the mains power before connecting or disconnecting any cables.
8 Play a source
- Press the or buttons on the front panel, or the or buttons on the PRISMA remote, to select the source.
- Use the VOLUME control on the front panel or the + and – buttons on the PRISMA remote to adjust the volume.
If you have a phone or tablet on the same Wi-Fi network as the SPA25 you can also use the Prisma app to select and control sources.
Note: The SPA25 is classified as a HiNA (high-network availability) product. If no audio stream signal is detected for 20 minutes the unit will automatically go into network standby mode, in which the power consumption of the device is <6W. The unit will exit from network standby mode when audio streaming is detected.
9 Connect to a network
To take advantage of the PRISMA features you should connect the SPA25 to your network. Connecting via an Ethernet cable is recommended, and provides the following benefits:
- Higher streaming performance.
- You will need an Ethernet connection if you plan to take advantage of Dirac Live calibration.
- An Ethernet connection is needed for firmware updates.
Even if you prefer to connect the SPA25 by Wi-Fi we recommend initially making an Ethernet connection so the unit can receive the latest update.
Connecting via an Ethernet cable
- Connect an Ethernet cable between your router or switch and the LAN socket on the back panel of the SPA25:
The front panel display should show “LAN” to indicate that a connection has been established.
If the display shows “Setup mode”, make sure your Ethernet cable is connected and it has a network connection.
To take advantage of Chromecast built-in related features and functionality – such as casting, voice control, and multi-room/multi-zone configuration and control – configuration must be done through the Google Home app. See Google Home app below.
To disconnect from the Ethernet network
- Remove the Ethernet cable.
Connecting via Wi-Fi
When the SPA25 Prisma is ready to be set up to your Wi-Fi network, the front-panel display will show:
You can connect to Wi-Fi by using iOS AirPlay speaker setup, the Prisma Android app, or the Google Home app.
Note that to take advantage of Chromecast built-in related features and functionality – such as casting, voice control, and multi-room/multi-zone configuration and control – set up and configuration must be done through the Google Home app, with a Google account.
AirPlay speaker setup
Go to the Wi-Fi menu under Settings on your iOS device. Select the Prisma model you wish to set up under “SET UP NEW AIRPLAY SPEAKER…” at the bottom of the list. Select the Wi-Fi you want your SPA25 Prisma to connect to and select “Next”. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete setup.
Prisma Android app
Open the Android Prisma app and following the instructions found at the link in the discovery page.
Google Home app
- Make sure Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are enabled on your mobile device.
- Install the free Google Home app on your mobile device.
- Open the Google Home app and follow the instructions for setting up the SPA25 Prisma on your network in the Chromecast Built-in Quick Start Guide, or the brief description below.
- Run Google Home.
The Google Home app will display Set up SPA25 Prisma.
- Click SET UP and follow the instructions.
The front panel display will show:
A test tone will be played and you will be prompted to select a name for your SPA25 Prisma.
If you cannot hear the test sound you may need to increase the volume on your amplifier.
- Enter an appropriate name.
- Select the Wi-Fi network your SPA25 Prisma should connect to.
Once you have configured the SPA25 Prisma using the Google Home app the “Configure network” message in the OLED display will disappear.
You will now be able to cast music to your SPA25 Prisma.
To disconnect from the Wi-Fi network
- Select Wi-Fi settings for the SPA25 in the Google Home app.
- Select Forget this network.
- Reset the SPA25 to its factory defaults; see Factory reset.
10 Download the Prisma app
To view and change the SPA25 Prisma settings you need the Primare Prisma app, which is available for free download on iOS devices from the Apple App Store and on Android devices from the Google Play Store.
In either case search for Primare Prisma to find the app.
11 Use your PRISMA Remote
Fit the batteries
The PRISMA remote is powered by two LR03 batteries, also known as AAA batteries. Before using the remote you need to fit the two batteries supplied with the remote.
- Press slightly on the top of the battery compartment on the back of the remote:
- Slide the back cover parallel to the case towards the bottom of the remote and remove it:
Do not attempt to use a metal object to open the cover, as you may scratch the case.
- Insert the two batteries, observing the correct polarity indicated by the ‘+’ signs on the inside of each battery holder:
- Replace the back cover by sliding it towards the middle of the remote, until it clicks into place.
The batteries should last for about a year with normal use.
The PRISMA remote has a backlight, to allow you to see the keys in a dimly lit or dark room.
To turn on the backlight:
- Press the LIGHT button.
The light will stay on until no key has been pressed for ten seconds.
To select most functions you simply press the appropriate key.
Some alternate functions are available by a long press on a key of about half a second.
Putting products to standby
Pressing the STANDBY button puts the product you are currently controlling to standby, or turns it on from standby.
Giving a long press on the STANDBY button puts all controlled products to standby, including the TV.
To enter a single digit number, such as an input number on a preamplifier, or a track number on a CD, you simply press the appropriate number key.
Entering two-digit numbers
If you need to enter a two-digit number, on most products you can do this as follows:
- Long press on a digit key to enter the first digit.
- Press a digit key to enter the second digit.
PRISMA Remote functions
12 Access the online SPA25 User Guide
For detailed information about setting up and using the SPA25 please refer to the online SPA25 User Guide, which you can access by scanning the following QR code:
SIMPLIFIED EU DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY
Hereby, Primare AB declares that the SPA25 Prisma Integrated AV Amplifier is in compliance with the directives IEC 62368-1:2014, CE EN62311/300328/301893,CE EN 55032:2015/301489, MRT22NSU001, MRT202207ESH25.