1 Unpack the R15
Your R15 is supplied with the following components:
- Mains cable
- IR/Trigger cable
- AC Polarity Pen (with batteries)
If any of these items are missing please contact your supplier. We recommend you retain the packaging in case you need to transport the unit at a later date.
2 Connect the cartridge
The R15 accepts either a moving-magnet cartridge or a moving-coil cartridge:
- Set the MM/MC selector to the appropriate position for your cartridge.
The gain can be selected between two options using a switch on the back panel.
- Set the gain selector to the appropriate position for your cartridge.
- Connect the cartridge to the RCA inputs.
- If the turntable provides a ground connection, connect this to the Ground terminal on the back panel to minimise hum pickup.
The default setting for the input impedance is 500Ω (MC setting) or 47kΩ (MM setting), with a capacitance setting of 100pF (MC and MM settings). These settings should be adjusted using the DIP switches on the back panel according to the recommended settings for the cartridge installed. For more information see Setting the impedance and capacitance.
3 Connect to a preamplifier
- Connect the R15 to, for example, a preamplifier using the left and right RCA outputs.
Connect using high quality stereo RCA leads.
4 Connect power
- Plug one end of the mains cable supplied with the R15 into the power connector on the back panel, and connect the other end to a wall socket.
If this cable is not suitable for your power outlets please contact your supplier for an alternative cable.
Note: See Phase for information about getting the best sound from your R15.
WARNING: Always disconnect the R15 from the mains power before connecting or disconnecting any cables.
- Switch on the R15, using the switch on the back panel.
The R15 will go into standby mode, indicated by the front panel light dimly illuminated.
5 Switch on
- Press the front panel standby switch, in the middle of the Primare logo.
The indicator light will blink for a few seconds before staying on.
If no signal is present for 20 minutes the R15 will automatically go into standby to save power.
By default, if no signal is present for 20 minutes the R15 will automatically go into standby to save power.
To disable automatic standby
- Press and hold down the front panel button for a few seconds, and release once the indicator light has flashed two times and become steadily illuminated.
To re-enable automatic standby
- Turn the R15 off and then on again using the switch on the back panel.