1 Unpack the A35.8
Your A35.8 is supplied with:
- Mains cable
- IR/Trigger cable
- AC Polarity Pen (with batteries)
If any of these items are missing please contact your supplier. We recommend you retain the packaging in case you need to transport the unit at a later date.
Note that due to the high current draw, the A35.8 features a C20 IEC socket on the back panel, rather than the usual C13/14 IEC socket, so a replacement power cord should be terminated in a C19 IEC plug.
2 Connect speakers and inputs
The A35.8 can be used in a number of different speaker configurations. For examples of typical configurations see System configurations.
Each channel of the A35.8 can be connected directly to a loudspeaker of between 2Ω and 8Ω impedance.
- Connect the loudspeaker to the + and – terminals of the appropriate channel on the back panel.
- Set the channel switch to the centre position, 2: 2-CHANNEL.
- Connect the input to the RCA or XLR input of the same channel, and set the RCA/XLR switch to the appropriate position.
Note that each pair of channels must both use the same type of input.
Alternatively, any adjacent pair of channels can be connected to a single loudspeaker in bridged mode to achieve a higher power output.
- Connect the loudspeaker to the + and – terminals indicated SPEAKER BRIDGED on the appropriate channel.
- While no damage will occur, it is recommended not have any wires connected to the unused outputs.
- Set the channel switch to the bridged position, 1: BRIDGED.
- Connect the input to the RCA or XLR input of the even-numbered channel, and set the RCA/XLR switch to the appropriate position.
This will attenuate the input so the loudspeaker sounds as loud as if it was connected using a direct connection to one channel. This makes it easier to have a mixture of directly connected loudspeakers, and bridged loudspeakers, in a single configuration.
Alternatively, set the channel switch to 3: BRIDGED +6dB. This leaves the input unattenuated, so the bridged loudspeaker will sound 6dB louder than one connected directly to a single channel.
Four channels can be used to connect separately to the bass and treble units of a pair of loudspeakers to drive them in bi-amped mode. Because of the way the outputs are configured internally the right loudspeaker should use two odd-numbered channels, and the left loudspeaker should use two even-numbered channels, as shown above.
- Use either the RCA or XLR inputs for all four channels, and set the two RCA/XLR switches in the appropriate position.
- Connect the right loudspeaker treble and bass inputs to two of the odd-numbered inputs.
- Connect the left loudspeaker treble and bass inputs to the two corresponding even-numbered inputs.
- Set the two channel switches to the centre position, 2: 2-CHANNEL.
- Connect the loudspeaker outputs to the corresponding treble and bass units for each loudspeaker.
Making the speaker connections
The terminals can accept speaker cables terminated with bare wires, spade terminals, or banana plugs.
For the best sound quality connect the red wire from each speaker to the red terminal marked + and the black wire from each speaker to the black terminal marked –.
To connect bare wires unscrew the terminal, pass the bare wire through the hole in the terminal bolt, and clamp the wire in place by screwing the terminal back down hand tight.
Making the input connections
While no damage will occur, it is not recommended to have both the XLR and RCA inputs of a channel connected at the same time.
If you are using the RCA inputs use high quality stereo RCA leads.
If you are using the XLR inputs use balanced XLR cables.
3 Connect power
- Plug one end of the mains cable supplied with the A35.8 into the power connector on the back panel, and connect the other end to a wall socket.
If this cable is not suitable for your power outlets please contact your supplier for an alternative cable.
Note: See Phase for information about getting the best sound from your A35.8.
WARNING: Always disconnect the A35.8 from the mains power before connecting or disconnecting any cables.
- Switch on the A35.8, using the switch on the back panel.
The A35.8 will go into standby mode, indicated by the front panel light dimly illuminated.
4 Switch on
- Press the front panel standby switch, in the middle of the Primare logo.
The indicator light will blink for a few seconds before staying on.